Weekly Update – Saturday 1st August 2020
from Revd Emma.
This is a briefer, shorter update from me this week!
Face Masks in Church:
The instructions I and the Churchwardens received last Thursday afternoon that all individuals should wear a face mask in church came with extraordinarily little notice; and so, I wanted to begin by thanking you all for your patience and understanding regarding this new requirement. Thank you to all who have attended services or private prayer with washable, reusable face masks.
I want to reiterate that there are exemptions for children aged 11 years and under, and for those who have medical conditions that affect their breathing or ability to hear clearly, but otherwise the expectation is that anyone who attends All Saints, be it for public worship, private prayer or to a wedding, funeral, baptism or any other activity should wear a face mask. I also want to stress that face masks are not compulsory for outside worship – so you may find our Compline and Supper services at 7pm in our church garden a good option during the warmer summer weeks. We also meet on the 16th for a lunchtime Communion Service with Picnic at 12noon.
Online services from All Saints this Sunday and next week are as follows:
- This Sunday 2nd August at 10am there will be a short act of worship including hymns and songs, confession, prayers, Bible reading, and a short sermon based on Romans 9. This service will also include Communion and so you are welcome to join in at home using your own bread and wine.
- Next Sunday 9th August again at 10 am there will be a short act of worship with hymns and songs, confession, prayers, Bible readings, and a short reflection.
There is also the opportunity to join with a Eucharist service from the Diocese:
Diocesan Morning Eucharist, Sunday 2nd August at 9am. Join with senior Diocesan staff who will lead worship with others from around the Diocese. This Eucharistic service will include hymns, readings, and prayers. It will be live on the Diocese's Youtube channel: www.youtube.com/portsmouthdiocese and Facebook page:www.facebook.com/CofEPortsmouth
- Tomorrow Sunday 2nd August 8am at All Saints. This will be our first week of a traditional, said BCP (Book of Common Prayer) Communion Service. For this service we will be introducing individual service booklets, one per household or individual, which will be stored in wallets and not touched by anyone else. FACE MASKS MUST BE WORN AT THIS SERVICE.
- Also, on Sunday 2nd August at 7.00pm you are welcome to bring your own supper and drink to our church garden. There will be opportunity to chat and enjoy time together, before sharing in a simple service of Evening Prayer (also known as Compline). This is a gentle, reflective, quiet service rooted in Scripture and prayer and a wonderful way to end the day.
- Next Sunday 9th August 10am at All Saints. We meet in our church building for a simple, said Communion Service. This service will include confession, prayers, Bible reading, and a short reflection. As the service ends, you are welcome to bring your own flask of tea or coffee, plus a snack, and maintaining small groups, gather in our church garden to talk and share. Again, FACE MASKS MUST BE WORN AT THIS SERVICE.
Peter Mitchell New Email address:
Peter Mitchell, our Licensed Lay Minister (Reader) now has his own email address connected with our church. If you would like to contact Peter please use: firstname.lastname@example.org
I say this each week – and I will keep saying it, if at any point you have questions about Summer Church, our building re-opening, or you have a prayer request, or would just like a friendly chat, please do ring me at the Vicarage on 9226 2647. At times I am out, but if you leave a message, I will return your call.
With every blessing,
Revd. Emma Racklyeft - Vicar at All Saints, Denmead