Weekly Update – Saturday 15th August 2020
from Revd Emma.
Recently I found myself revisiting perhaps one of the most famous passages from Scripture. It comes from Paul’s first letter to the Corinthians:
“And now these three remain: faith, hope and love.” (I Cor 13:13)
And it simply struck me that in these times, when so much has been taken away from us, when things that we previously depended on are no longer there, when even our church life has been disrupted almost beyond recognition, it is now that we are forced to reassess what really matters to us.
I guess most of us have done some reassessing over the last few months and perhaps are continuing to do so. Maybe we have been forced to let go of some things that were important to us. Some, sadly, have lost people who were important to them.
But these three remain: God’s faith, God’s hope and God’s love.
Sometimes they may seem very fragile, but even if everything else has gone, if we can hold on to these three, then we will survive this time, and better times will come. God is with us – and nothing can separate us from His love in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 8:39)
First, this is just to let you know that I am on Annual Leave from Monday 17th of August through till the 1st September and will not be available. If you have a routine query please contact Claire Holland, our Parish Administrator via the church office (9226 8757 or firstname.lastname@example.org) or if you need urgent help please contact either Amanda Hillyard on 07808 198 827 or Steve Venn on 07803 595 915. Many thanks for your understanding.
Ordination of Jack Williams our Curate Friday 9th October at 6.30pm
With great joy we have heard from Bishop Christopher that rather than waiting till later in the year, he now intends to ordain Jack Williams, our new Curate, as Deacon on Friday 9th October. This service will take place here at All Saints at 6.30pm. This is wonderful news for Jack, his family and friends, and for us as a parish. However, in line with current Covid-19 restrictions, this service will only be open to a limited number of 30 people, and so will be by invite only. However, we plan to live stream the service and share with you all on Facebook. (Once the service ends, we will also be able to add it on our website.)
So, please save this date and time in your diary and make sure you join in from the comfort of your home that evening! More details will follow.
- This Sunday 16th August at 10am there will be a short act of worship including hymns and songs, confession, prayers, Bible reading, and a short sermon based on Romans 11 by Peter Mitchell, our Licensed Lay Minister.
- Sunday 23rd and Sunday 30th August. For these two weeks there will not be an online service available. The next online service from All Saints will resume on Sunday 6th September.
Instead we encourage you to join with the Eucharist services from the Diocese at 9am. Links to these services can be found at the Diocesan’s Youtube channel: www.youtube.com/portsmouthdiocese
and Facebook page:www.facebook.com/CofEPortsmouth
- Tomorrow Sunday 16th August 8am. Please join us for a traditional, said BCP (Book of Common Prayer) Communion Service. For this service we will be using individual service booklets, one per household or individual, which will be stored in wallets and not touched by anyone else.
- FACE MASKS MUST BE WORN AT THIS SERVICE.
- Sunday 16th August 12 noon. CANCELLED You are very welcome to come and gather in the church garden for a simple Picnic Communion Service. The idea is you come with your picnic, food and drink, and we will eat and chat together, but we will also share in a simple Communion service. This service will be short and simple and suitable for all ages. To one side of our garden we will set up a little area with activities suitable for children. As we are outside you will not have to wear a face mask during the service. PLEASE NOTE - IF THE WEATHER IS WET, THIS SERVICE WILL BE CANCELLED.
- Sunday 23rd August at 10am – Morning Worship. This will be a short act of worship led by Amanda Hillyard our Church Warden, and will include hymns and songs to listen to, confession, prayers, Bible reading, and a short sermon based on Romans 12 by Jack Williams, our Curate.
- PLEASE NOTE – THIS SERVICE WILL NOT INCLUDE COMMUNION. FACE MASKS MUST BE WORN.
- Sunday 30th August – For this week only there will be no service in Church. Services will return on Sunday 6th September.
As I mentioned, I am now on Annual Leave for two weeks and so won’t be contactable… however, I will be continuing to pray for you all during this time. I look forward to seeing you again in September.
May the Lord be with your Spirit and grace be with you,
Revd. Emma Racklyeft - Vicar at All Saints, Denmead